Saturday, April 26, 2014

Liebster Nominations

Thank you, Marie Lavender (http://marielavender.blogspot.com) for nominating "Sketch People"!






I am pleased to announce that we have won an award for this blog.  After receiving the Liebster Award, Marie Lavender of  Writing in the Modern Age passed it on to us. This award is normally given to bloggers by other bloggers, and we are honored to be part of this tradition.  
The Rules

1.  Link back and thank the blogger who nominated you in your post.


2.  List 11 facts about yourself.


3.  Answer the 11 questions asked by the blogger who nominated you.


4.  Pick 5 - 10 new bloggers (must have less than 300 followers) to nominate and ask them 11 new questions. Do not re-nominate the blogger that nominated you.

5.  Go to each new blogger’s site and inform them of their nomination.

11 Random Facts about Myself

1.  I stole composition books from my 3rd-grade teacher's supply closet to write stories in.
2.  I love cats -- all kinds -- but am particularly drawn to wild cats.
3.  Sitting still is very hard for me, so I meditate while jogging or gardening.
4.  My first job was for my dad. I toted tools & stuff for him while he installed storm doors and windows.
5.  I met my late husband in 5th grade.
6.  One of my favorite authors is Elizabeth Goudge.
7.  I am a Reiki III Master Practitioner, and most of my clients are four-footed.
8. I still write out my rough drafts in long-hand.
9.  I have an inconvenient sense of humor.
10.  I have an incredible son named Zeke. He is a very old soul, and I learn a lot from him.
11.  I like writing to music.  Somehow it forms a background for me to test out the rhythm of words to.


Questions Asked by Marie Lavender


1.  Name three secrets that you never told anyone.

1)  I tend to doodle while having serious conversations on the phone with people.

2)  I refuse to do Skype because I'm afraid of unintentionally mocking someone with  weird random facial expressions.

3)  I have a vendetta against the town snow plow drivers.


2. If you won the lottery, what would be the first thing you would do?  

Breathe a sigh of happiness/relief and bank the money, I guess, then help out Animal Friends of CT, a wonderful rescue group in this area.


3. Looking over the last ten years, what is one goal you have achieved and one that you have not achieved?  

I have been able to publish a number of books, and the response to them has, on the whole, been warm and enthusiastic.  I would like to have more magazine work.


4. What are your plans for retirement? And will you travel, if so where and why?  

No retirement here, thank you -- I'm a workhorse.  Somebody once told me that I'd be writing for the rest of my life, and I'm good with that.  More than good, actually.  

Zeke and I went to London about eight years ago, and it was lovely.  But I'd like to go back and see the British countryside this time around.  And Wales.  I've always wanted to go there.

5. Favorite drink on a Friday night?

I don't drink a lot, but an occasional Black Russian or a Cape Cod is a nice thing.


6. What do you think the secret is to a good marriage or relationship with a significant other is?  

Understanding and humor. You gotta be able to laugh at all the crazy stuff that happens along the way.  And understanding is paramount: it's what gives love its roots.


7. Name three words that describe your personality.  

Determined, spiritual, and humorous.  The last two keep each other in check.  


8. Home-cooked meal or take-out? 

It depends on many things. Cooking requires imagination, and a lot of times, mine fails me at the end of the day.


9. When was the last time you blogged and what was the topic? 

My most recent "Sketch People" post was a profile of Caroline Earle White, the founder of the Women's Humane Society in Bensalem, PA.


10. What do you think the key is to happiness? 

I believe that we can't always control what happens to us but that we can control how we respond to it


11. Who is your favorite poet and why?

Toss-up between Gerard Manley Hopkins and Robert Graves.  I love the way Hopkins forged new words and the incredible rhythm of those words.  And Graves's poetry has a spare elegance that appeals to me.



My Liebster Nominations 

In keeping with our theme, I have decided to nominate these blogs:

 
1.  Nancy Butler - http://lyrichillfarm.blogspot.com/
2.  L.L. McLaughlin -- http://llmclaughlin.blogspot.com/
3.  Samantha Mozart -- http://salmonsaladandmozart.com/
4.  Gwynn Rogers -- http://gwynnsgritandgrin.com
5.  Alina Oswald -- http://alinaoswald.blogspot.com
6.  Patricia Spork -- http://www.patriciaspork.com
7.  Susan Scott -- http://gardenofeden.com
8.  Kim Cady -- http://kimcady.blogspot.com
9.  Sezoni Whitfield -- http://writerskaboodle.blogspot.com
10.  Lisa Hazard -- http://hazardcat.blogspot.com


3 comments:

Patricia said...

T.J., congratulations on receiving the Liebster Award! Your site definitely deserves the award. You are such a dear friend for nominating my site for a Liebster Award, but I don't consider it deserving, since I don't blog often, and when I do, it's mainly to sell items. So, I won't be following through by answering questions or passing on the award. Hope you understand. Again, thank you, and congrats. Much love always!

T. J. Banks said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
T. J. Banks said...

Thanks, Patricia! And I understand your feelings about this, so mot to worry. I do think you're one hell of an interviewer/blogger, though.